While on vacation several years ago, a water line ruptured and caused damage to a luxury residence in Atherton, California, which was not discovered for nearly a week by the owners.
The water and the effects of water were not remediated for approximately two weeks after discovery, causing further consequential damages. The owners of the residence had used high-end finishes and flooring to upgrade their residence.
The water-related damage and high-end finishes caused the reconstruction cost estimate to be much higher than a typical suburban residence and their home insurance carrier refused to accept the higher estimate.
Steve’s been involved with reconstructing homes using luxury finishes and flooring for many years, and he’s observed the typical Xactimate guide used by insurance companies has been, at times, inaccurate.
When standard information sources cannot provide accurate pricing information, obtaining subcontractor bids and using quotes for the same materials and products must be used to provide accurate pricing. The expert must be capable of defending their scope, approach and pricing.
Steve helped the owners identify the opulent finishes used in their home and get accurate price quotes to replace them. He then held events to get pricing from qualified and reputable subcontractors.
Steve produced a bid to replace the damaged structure and luxurious finishes that was considerably higher than the amount offered by the family’s home insurance carrier. An appraisal award was made at a price very close to Steve’s bid.
Speak With an Experienced Water Damage Expert
Steven P. Viani, P.E., is a licensed civil engineer and an expert in water damage cases and water damage caused by fire. Steve’s helped recover millions of dollars for homeowners and businesses dealing with catastrophic water damages at every stage of the insurance claims and construction process.
Steve is uniquely qualified, licensed and certified to resolve water damage issues:
- California civil engineer license – #C30965 (view license at Cal.gov)
- Arizona civil engineer license – #51709 (view license at AZ.gov)
- Washington civil engineer license – #24320 (view license at WA.gov)
- Hawaii civil engineer license – #18323 (view license at Hawaii.gov)
- Contractors State License Board No. 945198 (view contractors license)
- Class “A” General Engineering Contractor license (view license)
- Class “B” General Building Contractor license (view license)
- Hazardous Substance Removal Certification (view license)
- Certified Insurance Appraiser and Umpire. View Steve’s official certification at the Insurance Appraisal and Umpire Association (IAUA) website.
Ask a Water Damage Expert
Steven P. Viani, PE, is a licensed civil engineer and water damage expert who has helped California homeowners recover from fire and water damage, even when their insurance company refused to cover the actual costs. He brings unique qualifications as a Certified Insurance Appraiser and Umpire, Contractor, and Engineer.