Engineering and construction litigation generally involves reports, depositions, technical documents and file information that can range from hundreds to thousands of documents. Maintaining a sense of who said what and where they said it requires detailed records. Steve Viani, PE, understands how to organize a database to permit retrieval and how to prepare a book that provides specific opinions and backup for use in a deposition for an engineering or construction case.
Many of the engineering files and construction cases Steve works on are part of a litigation process, or at the very least involve attorneys. While not every file will result in litigation, clarity and concise opinions are always necessary. A written engineering report is usually developed, where Steve writes clearly and concisely to explain his findings and expert engineering opinions.
A recognized engineering expert, for more than 10 years Steve’s been performing reviews of enforcement actions taken by the Board of Professionals Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists (BPELSG) that have complaints against them.
Engineering Litigation Support With Large Databases
- Provided expert witness services for cost and schedule claim by the County of Monterey against CM and Prime Contractor involving asbestos containing materials. File contained thousands of documents and lasted 3 years.
- Provided expert services for construction dispute involving an environmental remediation system constructed at a refinery in New Jersey and resulted in a 100+ page report in preparation for deposition and trial.
- Provided expert witness testimony for contractual dispute involving adequacy of geotechnical report, differing site conditions and cost to repair for sewer line in Las Vegas, NV. Work involved two different legal firms and thousands of documents.
- Evaluation of $1 million claim by contractor against City and Engineer regarding defective and deficient contract documents and standard of care of engineer on a tertiary wastewater treatment plant expansion using 20,000 document database.
- Provided claim development for a $27 million capping project involving construction of a clay cap over coal fines at a closed mining facility using a 10,000-document database. The fines were incapable of supporting the weight of the cap and had failed due to design issues discovered during review.
- Provided expert witness service for pile driving operations affecting defectively designed and constructed stucco clad public library in LA area based on review of 10,000 document database.
- As part of a construction claim on a 4-story parking structure at San Francisco International Airport, evaluated an earthwork claim concerning the presence of hazardous waste, rock, trash and unsuitable materials and their effect on the project schedule. Further analysis indicated an illegal filling of wetlands in San Francisco Bay, based on database review.
“Steve, thanks for persevering for 3 years, 3 attorneys and 3 court dates to finally get this resolved in our client’s favor. Your understanding of the project issues and analysis of the defense arguments during your testimony convinced the judge of the superiority of our case and allowed us to get attorney fees.“