Steven P. Viani, P.E., is a Professional Engineer and registered civil engineer in California, Washington, Arizona and Hawaii. He is a licensed contractor in California with both Class “A” – General Engineering Contractor and Class “B” – General Building Contractor licenses. He also has a Hazardous Substance Removal Certification.
Over his 40-year career, Steve has managed many small and large construction jobs as an engineer and built many as a contractor. He’s project managed all phases of construction and acted as an expert general contractor in construction contract disputes.
Construction Project Management
Steve stepped in when a property owner was told by Sacramento County Planning and Building Department he needed use permits, special inspection and special building permits to realize his dream of owning a horse facility. Over a 10-year period, Steven inspected the work being performed and performed special studies regarding septic systems, access/egress for fire safety and developed insulation requirements. The property passed final inspection and is now accepting horses. Steven saved the owner over $750,000 in excess fees.
Steve understands the design and construction process and has been involved with Environmental Impact Reports (EIR) in San Francisco regarding impacts to a gas transmission line, a residential community, and testified in front of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
Construction Contracts and Dispute Resolution
His past experiences range from expert witness services for cost and schedule claims against contractors to providing contract review and cost to complete for a large apartment building complex. Steve’s extensive list of past projects include:
- Contract review and cost to complete
- General contractor expert witness testimony
- Cost and schedule claim
- Expert contracting services
- Termination fee negotiation
- Claim development
- Defective and deficient contract
Construction Contract Expertise
- Successfully negotiated a $6 million termination for convenience claim for a Superfund site in Southern California.
- Expert witness services for cost and schedule claim by County of Monterey against CM and Prime Contractor involving asbestos containing materials and mold.
- Prepared and negotiated changed site conditions, acceleration, directed change, constructive change and defective and deficient contract document change order with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Expert contracting services for construction dispute involving an environmental remediation of a groundwater collection and storage system constructed at a large refinery facility in New Jersey.
- Claim development for a $27 million capping project involving construction of a clay cap over coal fines at a closed mining facility in Illinois. The clay fines were incapable of supporting the weight of the cap and had failed due to design issues.
- Contract review and claims support for water reservoir project in Honouliuli, HI, affected by delays, changes and differing site conditions.
- Contract review and cost to complete for a 900-unit military family housing project in Honolulu, HI.
“I wanted to let you know that your analysis of the engineering design, structural deficiencies and wind loads was critical in establishing liability and causation, and successfully challenging the defense experts’ opinions and their purported engineering approach. Your work enabled me to achieve a settlement that was extremely favorable to our client.“