A landslide is disruptive and expensive. It may take years to fix the landslide — or the property may never be returned to its intended use. Landslides can be triggered by rain, earthquakes, faulty construction, and improper design or by conditions that are unknown at the time.
Investigating What Caused the Landslide
A good soils investigation and engineering are the best methods to prevent a landslide; however, not every condition will be visible or can be mitigated. And not every property is pristine or undamaged before the landslide or soil movement occurred.
Immediate Landslide Stabilization Measures are Key
When a landslide or soil movement occurs, immediate measures should be taken to stabilize the site and reduce the potential for further damage. This could also mean removing water.
Uncovering the Hidden Dangers of Slow Ground Movement with Testing
Slow ground movement can cause catastrophic damage as well. Such movement can be caused by expansive soils, which exist in 40% of California soils. Testing can be quickly and easily performed to detect the presence and magnitude of the expansive soils.
For many buildings, a manometer, or floor level survey will be required. Other types of ground movement will require soils borings, installation of inclinometers, piezometers, monitoring wells and testing of soil samples. For example, soil movement caused by hydroconsolidation occurs slowly and its presence may be difficult to determine.
Review of Designs in Process to Repair Soil & Provide Cost Estimates
Steve has extensive experience reviewing investigation and designs in progress. He can provide a cost estimate to repair the soil and damage caused by the soil movement, track costs and provide assurance the work was done properly.
Expert Soil Movement and Landslide Repair Projects:
- Determination of cause of 100,000 CY landslide and cost estimate to repair $40M damages in Issaquah, WA, caused by design and construction issues. Work included extensive geotechnical and design review.
- Provided expert witness services and court testimony for construction defect case involving expansive soils, construction impacts and water damage to a house foundation in Irvine, CA.
- Developed detailed problem analysis for design and construction of soil nail shoring for foundation construction and cause of shoring movement, which resulted in remedial work and delays for a tower project in San Francisco.
- Evaluation of a landslide in the Santa Cruz Mountains caused by improper drainage of a roof and yard landscaping.
- Evaluation of a landslide in Lafayette, California, caused by the un-regulated draining of a pool, which caused localized subsidence on a neighboring property.
- Evaluation and cost estimate for repair of a landslide caused by improper soil removal and failure to perform tree removal ultimately causing the severing of water lines, thus saturating the hillside and causing its failure in the City of Sausalito, California.
- Investigation and cost estimate to perform re-construction of a residential property in Northern California that sustained damage when a defective drainage system caused a localized landslide.